Saturday, March 30, 2013

What's Really for Dinner?


Did anyone hear about the GMO Bill that Barack Obama signed this week?

President Obama signed a spending bill, HR 933, into law, the “Monsanto Protection Act,” that strips federal courts of the authority to immediately halt the planting and sale of genetically modified (GMO) seed crop regardless of any consumer health concerns. In other words he’s allowing foods that have been enhanced to continue to be sold in America, despite pleas to stop it, because of the potential and probable health risks. I only bring this up because I think this is a far bigger deal (and a far quieter deal) than the legislation that has dominated the airwaves this week: Same-sex marriage.

Same-sex marriage means nothing to me. There is not a single issue in this country that I care less about than who marries who. This is a Sarah Palin issue. Don’t tell me about the sacred union of the marriage, how it must remain for procreation, how it must remain man and woman. Kim Kardashian got married. Michael Jackson got married. There are reality TV shows on every channel about meeting a stranger and fake-marrying him or her for fame.

While CNN and FOX News are worried about this same-sex nonsense, Obama is legalizing a food and drug act that could potentially (albeit slowly if at all) be killing Americans. It’s a six-month bill but I didn’t even know it was in motion. This is what I want to know about. The food that enters my body on a daily basis is my foremost issue. Too bad talk of this act can only be found in the dusty catacombs of the Internet. I don’t know if what Obama did is dangerous or not but we’ve all heard the horror stories of chickens being pumped full of hormones and genetic enhancers to fatten them up before they fall over and die in tiny cages. I want Anderson Cooper and Rachael Maddow coming at this story from every angle.

Am I blaming Obama for signing an act that requires the USDA to approve the harvest and sale of crops from genetically-modified seed even if the court has ruled against the crop for being dangerous to public safety and/or the environment? I’m not. Barack Obama is the smartest person in the room on this issue and any other issue in modern America, so I don’t want to see these Facebookers saying “that’s what you get for voting Obama.” This isn’t a GOP vs. Democrat thing. Any Republican would’ve signed this bill in three seconds flat. I just want to know more about it. Don’t you? Let’s forget about equal marriage and get educated on our foods.

For years, the left-leaning Bill Mahar has said it’s the food that’s dooming Americans, not the cigarettes, or six packs, or street drugs, and maybe he’s right. I’m quick to say that anyone who would eat genetically-altered foods are probably the same people who think THIS IS 40 was hilarious. Then I stop and ask: Does anyone really know which foods are and aren’t? Who knows if all these organic and grain-fed wrappings are actually legit? The stores that "claim" they don’t sell genetically-enhanced foods are Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, Marsh Supermarkets, and Aldi stores, just to name a few. Who knows?

All we can do is micromanage what we eat and stay educated. Quit beef cold turkey. Stick to fish, organic, all-natural. And who knows if that's doing more harm than good. My point is a simple one: If our media is torn between covering the issue of same-sex marriage or the danger levels of the foods we feed ourselves, I say let raccoons marry chipmunks and chickens marry meat cows, just make sure they’re not genetically altered before feeding them to me.

Read More: http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/stress-and-health-dr-lind/2013/mar/28/gmos-and-obamas-loss-health-america/

Brian Huba
3.29.13

No comments:

Post a Comment